"Walking through the lobby of the Waldorf-Astoria with your fly undone is different. But it's not good." ~Legendary GM design chief Bill Mitchell

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Fall is Here

At least that’s what they tell me. Somehow I’m still of the mindset where 87° weather constitutes summer. I ate lunch outside by the lake where yellow-jackets harassed me for my iced-tea. That’s right, screw “sweet-tea”. In every normal part of the country, iced-tea is by definition already sweet. There’s no reason to go making a cultural thing out of it.

So I ate lunch under the shade of a tree, next to the lake. After I consumed my sandwich, I played a little Zelda on my new Gameboy Micro. That was really a good way to spend my break. It got me outdoors away from the computer, and I was actually doing something I liked with my free time instead of staring blankly at CNN for 45 minutes. I was on the fence all summer about the whole portable gaming thing. I once owned a Sega Game Gear, but that was a POS. As I started spending more time stuck at airports I came to the realization it was time to take another stab at a portable game system. PSP and DS just weren’t what I was looking for. The PSP was too large and expensive, plus I’ve already played most of those games on my PS2. The DS just wasn’t what I was looking for and the available games were very limited. Then I heard about the Micro. Smaller than my cell phone and it plays any of the huge selection of GBA games, many of which can be had used for dirt cheap. Plus it was only $100! I wish I could have bought it sooner! I’m not looking for graphical hi-fidelity, that’s what I have home consoles for. All I’m looking for is something extremely portable to toss in my pocket with quality on a par with my old Super Nintendo. It fits the bill for an old-school gaming experience on the go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home